Rats are unwelcome visitors in the house. They carry diseases and pose health risks. They are incredibly destructive as they can chew through walls and cause irreversible damage to the wiring. If you are worrying, how to stop all the potential destruction, then the below tips are surely going to help you. Read on to know more.
1. Inspect the home: You need to conduct a full-fledged inspection to find out the source they are coming from. Play close attention to drains, cracks, in your garage and inside the house check vents, drains, appliances, and other potential access points.
2. Seal the gaps: Rats can get into even the smallest of a hole. Fill the gaps with a wire pool, metal kick plates, cement, or caulk. Keep checking them once in a while.
3. Eliminate potential food sources
This can be done by storing dry foods in tightly sealed containers, making sure food is not left sitting out on counters, and cleaning up any spillages.
4. Clean it up: Rats look for food to eat and shelter hide. If your home offers that, then they don’t want to miss out on that. One of the best ways to get rid of rats without poisoning them is to eliminate all hiding places. Clean up the clutter and place the object a little farther from the wall.
5. Use natural deterrent methods: Some of the simple, natural ingredients go a long way when it comes to eliminating the rats. Try these natural options: Spread peppermint oil, cayenne pepper, black pepper, or cloves: Sprinkle them around the home’s exterior to prevent rats from entering.
6. Sprinkle crushed pepper: Place them near rat openings and holes. This will irritate the rat’s nose and discourage them from entering the house.
The above are the best pest control methods that effectively drive away from annoying rats. If the pest infestation goes uncontrolled, then seek pest-expert help immediately.